Ruggedized Power Supplies
- What is a Rugged Power Supply?
- Why Are Rugged Power Supplies Important?
- Military-Grade Equipment Means Superior Performance
- Markets We Serve
Extreme-condition power supplies are often associated with demanding uses and environments related to military applications. Because of this, a ruggedized power supply must meet some of the strictest safety and performance standards found within the power supply industry.
Regardless of the industry, when we’re entrusted to manufacture ruggedized equipment such as rugged AC-DC power supplies, all of our highly trained engineers, assemblers, test technicians, and machinists know that reliability is the utmost test of the quality of their workmanship. When lives are on the line — whether on land, aboard a ship or in the air — our entire team makes it their responsibility to supply you with products that repeatedly deliver — even in the most punishing conditions.
What Is a Rugged Power Supply?
A rugged power supply unit is a form of power supply that is capable of withstanding a variety of environments, even those with particularly challenging conditions and climates. These power supplies are designed and built for the sake of withstanding extreme or otherwise complicating weather and environmental conditions. These conditions include differences in altitude, temperature, vibrations and shock — perfect for suiting many different industries.
Why Are Rugged Power Supplies Important?
Regardless of the model, the purpose of power supply units is to provide regulated voltage, irrespective of the source input, and convert it to DC. There are both rugged AC to DC power supply units and DC to DC varieties. Most varieties of electronics need regulated power to function correctly. Without it, large fluctuations can occur, delivering more or less power than you need to complete your end goal. By regulating it to match the device, you can prevent costly outages, maintain a steady power supply, and avoid overload. If you try to use non-rugged DC power supplies or AC power supplies in shifting climates, high altitudes, or other volatile situations, you may have to provide continual maintenance and deal with downtime.
Military-Grade Equipment Means Superior Performance
Whether it’s stringent environmental requirements or complex performance specifications, we have the experience in manufacturing application-specific ruggedized power equipment that meets some of the toughest standards you can imagine.
Our solutions meet military specifications that outline the performance needs of aircraft, ground use, and naval applications, as well as standards that cover everything from shock testing to vibration levels. With years in the industry and vertically-integrated manufacturing, we have the in-house expertise to build what your ruggedized equipment requires.
What follows are just a few of the features our ruggedized power supplies come equipped with, as well as the conditions they’re built to perform under:
- Protective casings to survive repeated dropping.
- Sealing integrity to provide water and humidity resistance.
- Ruggedized assembly to withstand power spikes, lightning strikes, and thermal shocks.
- Built-in vibration and shock resistance for military-style transport and weaponry impact.
- Designed resistance to extreme temperatures ranging from -40 degrees Celsius to above 80 degrees Celsius.
- Noise reduction for strategic tactical needs.
- Active power factor correction.
- Performance enhancement to operate in high altitude and cockpit conditions.
Markets We Serve
With our years of experience in the field of power supplies, we manufacture units to meet engineers’ needs, within and outside the military industry. From meeting industry-specific requirements to withstanding environmental shifts and climate changes, our solutions are reliable and advanced in many applications.
Ruggedized power supplies are essential to several industries, including:
- Shipboard: Shipboard environments present demanding external conditions, which will rule out a significant amount of power supply options. The environmental factors make it essential to find precision-engineered units that meet the strict requirements presented by the Naval industry. Despite these limitations, rugged power supplies meet their standards and provide reliability.
- Aerospace: When it comes to manufacturing aerospace technology, engineers must consider the effects of altitude shifts and the accompanying changes in weather. If the vehicles are for military use, then any power units will also have to comply with MIL-STD-704 and have top-notch quality control. Standard power supplies may not meet these requirements, but rugged power supplies from a trustworthy manufacturer will. At ACT, we can also create solutions for specific applications promptly.
- Ground Vehicles: A rugged vehicle power supply is useful both within and outside of the military, as vehicles need to withstand many climates and harsh environmental conditions. Vehicles often travel over rough terrain, through dirt, sand, and humid areas. But equipment used on military vehicles must also meet multiple specific codes and standards under MIL-STD-1275. Our advanced manufacturing processes allow us to provide engineers with high-quality, low-cost, rugged power supplies for mine rollers, tanks, and other ground vehicles and equipment.
Ultimately, our rugged military power supply units are capable of withstanding these conditions. With proper mounting and sealing, the power supply units can be water, dust, and shock-resistant and handle pressurization changes. Since we provide application-specific products, you can get the best power supply for your specific needs.
Engineered Solutions: ACT Built, ACT Tested
Since military standards are updated regularly, our technology and staff are always up to date on the latest designs, materials, and manufacturing methods. Not to mention, our quality management system is fully certified to meet both the latest standards of AS9100 and ISO 9001. In addition, we have some of the strictest supplier policies in place to prevent issues with counterfeit materials and conflict minerals.
With the total experience to build rugged power supplies to meet MIL-STD-810 standards for environmental design, including surviving drastic temperature shifts and random vibration, MIL-STD-461 standards for electromagnetic interference, and MIL-S-901 standards for high impact shock, we have the versatility to meet all of your power supply needs.
Plus, with our fully-integrated production process, you get ruggedized equipment that’s designed, manufactured, and thoroughly tested all under one roof here in the United States. This results in both cost and risk reduction. And it means you get a rugged product that’s built right and then tested to operate predictably and reliably.
To learn more about our ruggedized power supplies and equipment, contact us today.